Saturday, April 09, 2005

A memorable dialogue

I saw Garden State a couple of weeks back. It was a pretty decent movie with some amazing dialogues. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, there are only a handful of movies that stay with you for a long time after the show gets over. Things that feel close to your heart are bound to remain with you forever and there was this one dialogue in Garden State that I especially identified with.

Andrew Largeman: You know that there is a point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.
Sam: I still feel at home in my house.
Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day. One day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.

There are only a few places that evoke the same warmth that you generally associate with a home. The house I grew up in Bahrain was one of those places and my parents are still living there (ever since I was a1 year old). I had to go to India for good when I was in class 8. My Dad felt that the place he worked was close to firing expatriates and he was not very sure that they would retain him. He didn't want me to miss a year of school if they decided to fire him in October. So I left for India in the summer of '95. Eventually my Dad did manage to hold on to his job (he even got a raise a year later) but I for some inexplicable reasons remained in India. I visited my mom and dad every year for my summer vacation. I spent a month and a half experiencing the luxuries that only your parents could provide. And when it was time to leave there would always be a lump in my throat. I always had this notion that boys should never cry and would control myself. Over the years, I perfected the facial expression of 'Mom I will be fine, I am actually looking forward to school and homework'. My mom always cried at the airport and my dad always shook my hands and reminded me to do well in school. I have been visting Bahrain every year for the last 10 years but strangely I just feel like a visitor. Subconsciously, It didn't bring the kind of security that a home should, it was more like a hotel as I always knew that I had to leave. But one thing that has remained constant over the years is the pain of separation.Good bye's suck.

Coming back to the movie, when Andrew Largeman mouthed those words it actually felt like it was something that I had been thinking all along but never bothered to give shape to those thoughts by expressing them in words. Zach Braff who plays the protaganist is also the writer and director. He has done an excellent job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Site Counter
Website Counter